My husband often leaves for work in the morning with a huge glass of milk as “breakfast”. I mean, a HUGE glass of milk–like between 24-32 ounces. But if there’s something like a granola or cereal bar, he’ll take it along. So I decided to find a recipe to make a “bar” at home for his breakfast so he can cut back on some milk. (It’s a good thing he likes milk, but we can go through 3 gallons of milk a week and I only use milk on my cereal/oatmeal in the morning, so I’d love to cut back on that–it’s over $2.50 a gallon so the savings would add up.)
They taste pretty good!! But I think they’re kinda light on the fruit, so next time I’m going to double that part. You can definitely still taste the fruit, but I think it could do with more.
I found a page with a few recipes, but the bonus recipe at the end was the one I thought looked best was here: Whole Grain Raspberry Jam Bars. Nick doesn’t like raspberry, but I figured it would work pretty similarly with any fruit/jam. Anyways, here’s the breakdown:
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter, cut into 16 pieces and softened
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup sugar-free raspberry jam (I used strawberry jam)
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries (I used strawberries)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 13 x 9-inch pan with foil by spreading two sheets of foil perpendicular to each other over the pan, with extra foil hanging over the edges. Grease the foil with cooking spray.
- Whisk the flour, wheat germ, granulated sugar and salt in a large bowl. Beat in 14 tablespoons of butter with an electric mixer on low until the mixture looks like wet sand, about 1½ minutes. Reserve 1¼ cups of the mixture for the topping and put the rest into the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press it into an even layer. Bake the crust until the edges begin to brown, about 14-18 minutes.
- Mix the reserved flour mixture with the oats, nuts, brown sugar and flax seeds. Add the remaining butter and pinch the mixture with your fingers into small clumps.
- In a separate bowl, lightly smash the raspberries, jam and lemon juice together.
- Spread the berry mixture over the hot crust and sprinkle the crumb streusel on top. Bake until golden brown, about 22-25 minutes.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan. Remove bars from pan by lifting up the foil edges. Cut into 24 squares.