Found this recipe on Pinterest, via a collection of slow cooker soup recipes. The original recipe comes from 365 Days of Crock Pot here: Slow Cooker Potato Pepper Jack Soup. It was really yummy!!! We both liked it. I think next time I will make it with chicken broth to see how different it tastes–I figure it’ll only get better!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 1/2 cups cubed russet potatoes (if you want it really potato-y then put in 3-4 cups) (I used a sweet potato and a few red skinned potatoes, since I had those on hand)
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water (or if you prefer, use 4 cups chicken broth instead of water and bouillon) (I used 4 cups of vegetable broth)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/3 cup sifted flour
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk, warmed
- 8 oz grated pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until softened. (if you’d rather add the onion, garlic and oil to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute). Add to the slow cooker.
- Add in carrot, potatoes, 1/4 cup bacon, bouillon, water, pepper, thyme and flour. Stir a bit, until flour is dissolved and cover.
- Cook on LOW for about 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove lid and stir in diced peppers, evaporated milk and 4 oz of the cheese. If the soup needs to be thickened, stir the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until smooth and then add to the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH until the soup is thickness desired and peppers are cooked through. (about 20-30 minutes).
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with remaining cheese and bacon sprinkled on top.