Before I even tried this soup, I knew it would be amazing. No clue as to why I knew it would taste great based on the fact that it was super easy to prepare–just have the chicken breasts thawed already and everything else is a snap! Oh, and I should mention there are more than 2 servings of veggies per serving of this soup! AWESOME 😀
I found the recipe on Pinterest, as I do so often, and it led me to Yummy. Healthy. Easy., which I think is a blog I’ll have to give some more browsing time to. This recipe’s post is here: Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. As for the corn tortillas to add on at the end, I didn’t do that. I just roughly crushed up some corn chips, which worked just as well, I think.
- 4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained (I actually used a 28oz can, which wasn’t too much)
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (honestly, I forgot to put this in haha)
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package frozen corn (about 14 oz)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth (I used vegetable broth instead)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans, onion, green chiles, corn and garlic into your crock pot. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- When fully cooked, pull chicken out and shred. Place back inside crock pot.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Cut tortillas into strips using a pizza cutter, then spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle some Lawry’s seasoning salt or just plain salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve soup, top with cheese, avocado, green onions or any other add-in you like and then sprinkle tortilla strips on top. ENJOY!!