My friend–we’ll call her Sue, just to make referencing her a little easier–who was asking about how I began my running had another question for me the other day. This question was about food rather than running. She wanted to know what I like to eat for lunch and snacks, because she’s looking to change up her food. (I get it–I also get bored eating the same thing all the time!)
To answer her question, here are a couple of lists of what I like to eat for snacks and lunch, respectively:
Honestly, I think what I’m about to list seem like pretty normal snack choices. They’re nothing really special, but it’s what I eat.
- fresh fruit (especially apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, strawberries)
- veggies (peas, broccoli, carrots, mixed frozen veggies, corn–I like these steamed, but that does sort of defeat the purpose of snacking, which I think is meant to be quick)
- cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese, any cheese really
- Wheat Thins with Laughing Cow cheese (I really like the Chipotle flavor)
- rice cakes, with peanut butter, Laughing Cow (this is new, so I’m still finding new stuff to put on the rice cakes)
- pretzels, popcorn (with little butter)
- Nature Valley bars, fruit & grain bars, Clif bars (these are very carb- (and therefore carb-) heavy, but they are great if you need to carbo load)
These aren’t really meals, because lately I just have a modge podge of food that sort of go together. I feel like I eat very by the serving and food group. Here goes, but you’d have to pick and choose what to mix and match in a lunch. (Like I will take boxed mac & cheese and add a cup of broccoli and a chicken sausage to it, for example).
- pita pizzas (whatever toppings you like, but I’m a big fan of buffalo chicken)
- quinoa (I’ve never tried it as a pasta, just a rice)
- mac & cheese, pasta with chunky veggie sauce or alfredo sauce, stuffed pasta (I love Buitoni brand, but it’s expensive)
- chicken, chicken sausage, ham, deli turkey or chicken
- veggies (peas, broccoli, carrots, mixed frozen veggies, potatoes, corn, lettuce/spinach for salads/sandwiches)
- fresh fruit
- cottage cheese
A lot of what I eat at any time of day could be the same. Breakfast is usually more breakfast-y. But lunch, snacks, and dinner are pretty interchangeable. I just don’t eat as much for a snack, obviously.
I don’t think anything here sounds remarkable, but I hope it helps Sue come up with some ideas to change up her diet 🙂