Oh, the wonderful recipes one can find on Pinterest 🙂 I think there could possibly not be a better way to sort of advertise and spread around products and ideas than Pinterest, mostly because it’s free! As I like to cook and bake, it’s a great resource to find new and different recipes. I think I was specifically searching through some healthy recipes when I came across this one, a recipe for Skinny Chocolate Chip Banana Bread from Skinny Mom. I do like the rich cake-like bread that is banana bread, and this one had a few healthy adaptations, so I was excited to try it out.
It. Is. Amazing.
I admit I put in a bit too many dark chocolate chips in the bread, but it is still great. Here is the recipe:
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce OR you can use 1 6 ounce container of low carb yogurt
- 1 tbsp reduced fat butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Splenda Granulated Sugar (I used Sweet Leaf stevia)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet dark chocolate mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees.
- Spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. I used regular sized loaf pans or you could use mini loaf pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas using a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, applesauce or (yogurt if using in place of applesauce), vanilla, and brown sugar, and Splenda.
- Add in egg whites and mashed bananas to wet ingredients and beat with a mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a wire whisk, gently mix dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix together until blended but not over mixed.
- Fold in chocolate chips to mixture.
- Transfer mixture evenly into the two loaf pans. Both pans should only be about ½ full with mixture. If using mini loaf pans, the mixture should make 4 mini loafs.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a fork inserted in the middle of chocolate chip banana bread loaf comes out clean. If using mini loaf pans, bake for only 25-30 minutes.