Owens Corning Half-Marathon, Toledo, Ohio 4/28/2013

UPDATE: My official time was 2:49:16

5am: I’ve been awake for about an hour now. I’ll be running in just under two hours! At least one of my worries has been put at ease. It’s already 53 outside, so I know how to dress. Also, the likelihood of rain is slightly less than it was last night. So I’m hoping any possible rain won’t make me too cold. I had a small-ish breakfast, might have a snack right before I head out. I’m staying on my feet. I’ve already started stretching–that is my biggest fear, probably. I don’t do morning runs, so I want to make sure my legs are loose when I start. Here’s my gear I got yesterday at the expo: might get some more goodies at the end of the race πŸ™‚


6am: Just left the house with Nick in tow. My tummy is nervous, I think. Not a hungry feeling, not a sick feeling. Just, funny. My head isn’t as nervous as my tummy is, sort of like on my wedding day. Gotta say, though, Nick’s being a trooper. I wasn’t even going to ask him to come to a three-hour event. But he volunteered, despite the 5:30 morning wake up on a weekend πŸ™‚ I’m not carrying my phone on the run, mostly because I can’t find my armband. I think it’ll be nice to not have it for a change.

6:45am: WISH ME LUCK!!


12pm: What an experience! My unofficial time was 2:53:11, which is about 4 minutes better than my only half-marathon distance. But I have to say, it sort of sucked. It rained the whole time, so I was soaked through. But I tried to remember that it could’ve been colder and rainy or even hot and muggy. At least it was 50, though I was freezing when I was done.

There were some very funny signs along the route. Right towards the beginning, there was one that said “1/2 miles down…almost there!!” And one that said “26.2 miles…Ain’t nobody got time for that!” But the most interesting thing was when the lead marathoner past me around my mile 9. It was just passed the spot where one halfer was down and being attended. So the biker with the lead runner was clearing his path, but ended up behind him. And he ran into him!! The guy was down and back up so fast, so he wasn’t really hurt too bad. I think he still won. There were about 21 marathoners who beat me and a few more marathon relayers that beat me. But I’m just proud to have a new best time πŸ™‚ Plus, this was my first ever run in the rain. Obviously I just don’t run if it rains haha



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s