A food I really love is mozzarella sticks. However, they’re typically unhealthy. At restaurants, they’re fried. And I’ve tried to bread them and bake them, but it hasn’t really worked–I can’t bread them enough to keep in the melting cheese 😕 So I found this idea for baking mozzarella sticks–put them in egg-roll wrappers. They don’t taste exactly the same, but they are still really good! You have to be careful with the bake-time though. If the melting cheese starts to come out of the ends, the sticks can be pretty empty of cheese. So I kind of hang out around the oven while they’re baking and when I hear that first little sizzle of cheese hitting the cookie sheet, I take them out. Even if the egg-roll wrap isn’t yet brown and crispy.
- mozzarella string cheese sticks (I used Kraft)
- egg-roll wrappers
- olive oil (I used the spray Pam olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Wrap the cheese stick in the egg-roll wrapper, tucking the ends in about half-way.
- Place wrapped sticks on a baking rack. (Wet the end to seal the wrapper.) Brush/spray the sticks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes (turn and continue for 5 minutes if not on a rack, but directly on a cookie sheet). Serve with whatever dipping sauce you like 🙂